Перейти к публикации

Рекомендованные сообщения

Hi all, this is my new report for my old Volvo.

This Volvo 940 only run cold for 5 to 10 km trip. The biggest trip is 60 km twice a month... Red block B200F engine.

The oil is a tractor oil, Q8 T1000D, base group I (http://www.oils.am/home/242.html)

Filter is a PureOne PL14670

The head was replaced during oil change by a second hand one.

Previous UOA is here: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/9774-1994-volvo-945-q8-t1000d-dino-10w30-8000-km/page__p__245084__hl__volvo+945__fromsearch__1#entry245084

1. Fist the good news: the Pureone give a better filtration than the Mann used previously (see previous UOA with PC), for the same price

Now the bad news:

2. High silicon: The air filter is a Volvo one, and it is the same than in the previous OCI. I used some silicon gasket for the head cover, which can explain the higher score. But anyway, Silicon is still high... I don't know why ...

I supposed the engine is eating salt (See Na) and sand during used in winter in Sweden, but is strange it pass threw the air filter...

So no idea...

3. High iron: no high associated Cr and Al, so I think it is not cylinders and camshaft.,

4. High Cu: There is Tin also, so combined with the high iron, I suspect valves/guide problem with the new old head... Why ? I don't know...

5. Viscosity drop: knwon problem with this low quality base...

Comments are welcome !

post-4569-0-47287300-1413963917_thumb.jpg

Изменено пользователем miniac007
Другие ответы в этой теме

If trips are short which leads to fuel-accumulation - why not use a 10-40 oil on 1/3 base?

Besides, the mileage is high, the engine is of old construction.

Дима, ты ниче не понимаешь :-) дело в цене на масло и на этот автомобиль - по-моему, он все делает правильно, тракторное масло для этой машины, в самый раз. ;-)

1. Fist the good news: the Pureone give a better filtration than the Mann used previously (see previous UOA with PC), for the same price

Why do you think so? The slight increase of metals could be a consequence of filter change rather than excess wear.

Any how I don't see a cause for anxiety - the numbers are typical for this run.

If you read russian try to understand this material.

Thank you for yours comments !

Why do you think so?.

A particule count was done for the 2 filters, you can see the iso code on the bottom of the page: 20/19/16 with the MANN filter (dirty) and 18/17/14 for the Pure One (clean). That's why I say the Pureone filters better, which is confirmed here: http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/conclusions.html

For the high Fe,Cu,Sn, (relative to previous UOA, not in the absolute), the head was changed, some valve setting pads changed, valves lapped, so maybe it has to break in a little. We will see how it goes on the next UOA...

If trips are short which leads to fuel-accumulation - why not use a 10-40 oil on 1/3 base?

I just kept 10w30 for the cold winters. Now, I refilled with 5w40 Pennasol Super Pace + ZDDPlus, we will see if it works on the next UOA.

A particule count was done for the 2 filters, you can see the iso code on the bottom of the page: 20/19/16 with the MANN filter (dirty) and 18/17/14 for the Pure One (clean). That's why I say the Pureone filters better, which is confirmed here:

Formally you are right: MANN is a bit behind. But practically I do not see any difference.

Besides, if you compare two filters - they must work with the same oil, in the same season and in a similar driving style. If, for example, MANN worked in the winter while Pure in the summer - I'd say the former showed better performance.

Изменено пользователем Dimmy

Well, oil was the same, driver and drinving also. The first UOA include April to December period, and the second Janury to October, so there are winter and summer periods in both sample. It is not perfect, but it is the best I can do :)

The purpose of the experiment was to confirm that the purolator filters better. This purpose was achevied.

But as you notice, it is impossible to have an idea of the CONSEQUENCES of this better filtration in only 8000km. The wear metals are the same. This need a long term experiment for that, and I cannot do it because I don't drive enough km by year...

BUT, a lot of experiments were done on by-pass filtration which showed that a better filtration give a less long term wear. Of course, by-pass filtration give a far better filtration than a pureone. But I keep thinking (maybe I am wrong), that the pure one, with its competitive price worth its money and could give a better long term wear result. As long as you avoid flow problems :)

One thing is strange and need to be confirmed: the big TBN ! Consequence of the better filtration ? or just an accident ? The oil comes from the same 20liters can... So the same

One thing is strange and need to be confirmed: the big TBN ! Consequence of the better filtration ? or just an accident ? The oil comes from the same 20liters can... So the same

Can it be a mistake of the lab to have measured TBN by ASTM 2896?

@miniac007, ISO code/analysis may be good but I look at the metal figures and see that Iron and Lead concentration in the used oil witn a MANN filter is significantly lower...

@miniac007, ISO code/analysis may be good but I look at the metal figures and see that Iron and Lead concentration in the used oil witn a MANN filter is significantly lower...

Yes but you cannot conclude on one sample, furthermore with the head just changed. As I said, you need a long term experiment with lot of sample to have statistical series long enough to conclude something which have some chance to be true...

The only sure thing is it filters better...

The only sure thing is it filters better...

...but is the extent of this "better" worth discussing and bothering? :)

Изменено пользователем Dimmy

Can it be a mistake of the lab to have measured TBN by ASTM 2896?

You point a good point ! Blackstone TBN methodologie has changed between the two UOA: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3407761/TBN_methodology_changing_at_Bl

But they say that the new TBN should be 25% lower, so the 8,1 question remains ...

But they say that the new TBN should be 25% lower, so the 8,1 question remains ...

I think we can regard the difference in TBN measuring methods as the reason for such a strange figure.

...but is the extent of this "better" worth discussing and bothering? :)

Thats the question :)

In my opinion, this better should give a better long term wear because studies have proved that by-pass filtering improve long term wear. I think it but I cannot prove it...

Anyway, the prices of a purolator and a Mann are not far different (9€/11€ with shipment), so personnaly, I will finish my stock of w917 and switch to Pureone. If there was a big price difference, I will keep the Mann :)

@miniac007, I'd say if you stick to long intervals you should care about an oil filter. Changing oil every 7000-8000 km it's senseless but on condition you use high-quality products. MANN and Purolator are on the list. Take which is cheaper!

Присоединяйтесь к обсуждению

Вы можете опубликовать сообщение сейчас, а зарегистрироваться позже. Если у вас есть аккаунт, войдите в него для написания от своего имени.

Гость
Ответить в теме...

×   Вставлено в виде отформатированного текста.   Вставить в виде обычного текста

Разрешено не более 75 эмодзи.

×   Ваша ссылка была автоматически встроена.   Отобразить как ссылку

×   Ваш предыдущий контент был восстановлен.   Очистить редактор

×   Вы не можете вставить изображения напрямую. Загрузите или вставьте изображения по ссылке.

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу.

• Создать...